The Pamplemousses Garden is a 37-hectare botanical garden located in the north of the island.
A little moment in history: The botanical garden was created at the initiative of Pierre Poivre, former seminarian steward of Isle de France (now Mauritius), in 1770. Former property of the governor of La Bourdonnais, Pierre Poivre acquires the area of Mon Plaisir to collect trees and spices from all over the world: laurel of the Antilles, Chinese camphor tree, breadfruit from the Philippines or litchi from Cochin China. For two years, botanists botanize, classify, inventorize, draw and plant the garden. The task is immense, the collections are constantly expanding arriving from Africa, India, Malaysia and Polynesia.
The garden is crisscrossed with avenues and alleys that bear the names of the great naturalists who have studied or helped form the flora. Next to the castle of Mon Plaisir is a park with an enclosure of giant turtles Seychelles and not far from Java deer.
The garden has 95 varieties of palm trees from Central America, Asia, Africa and the islands of the Indian Ocean and spices have a section dedicated to them: nutmeg, clove introduced in 1770 by Pierre Pepper, cinnamon of Ceylon, pepper, four-spice of South America. There are also giant water lilies, lotuses, water lilies and water hyacinths found in several basins.